As expected, Apple today announced its latest smartphone, the Apple iPhone 5.
“iPhone 5 is the most beautiful consumer device that we’ve ever created,” said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. “We’ve packed an amazing amount of innovation and advanced technology into a thin and light, jewel-like device with a stunning 4-inch Retina display, blazing fast A6 chip, ultrafast wireless, even longer battery life; and we think customers are going to love it.”
Apple iPhone 5 specifications:
- Processor: Apple A6
- Operating system: Apple iOS 6
- Cellular connectivity: LTE/UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA/GSM/EDGE
- Other connectivity: A-GPS/GLONASS, 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi (802.11n 2.4GHz and 5GHz), Bluetooth 4.0
- Display: 4-inch 1136-by-640-pixel resolution (326PPI)
- Input: Capacitive multitouch
- Storage: 16/32/64GB options
- Rear-facing camera: 8MP with 1080p video capture
- Front-facing camera: 1.2MP with 720p video capture
- Connectors: 3.5mm audio jack, Lightning connector
- Battery: Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion
- Dimensions / weight: 123.8 x 58.6 x 7.6 millimeters / 112 grams
- Colours: Black & Slate or White & Silver
- Other: Apple EarPods
In fact, Apple will offer three different models which will be identical except for wireless band support. Two models will be offered in North America with the A1428 supporting carriers such as Bell, Rogers, and TELUS in Canada and AT&T in the U.S. The A1429, with CDMA, will support both Verizon’s and Sprint’s LTE networks. A third model will be geared towards Asia and Europe.
The Apple iPhone 5 will launch on September 21st in the US, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore and the UK. Pre-orders will begin on September 14th. It will be available to an additional 22 more countries on September 28th.
Read more: Apple