Along with the LG Optimus G Pro, NTT DoCoMo yesterday unveiled a rather different smartphone, the NEC Medias W smartphone which has two 4.3-inch displays. At first glance it looks like any all-touch smartphone but flip it over and you’ll find a second display. And it gets better: It can open up to offer the two displays side-by-side. The two can be used either independently or together.
NEC Medias W specifications:
- Processor: 1.5GHz dual-core Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 MSM8960
- Operating system: Google Android 4.1 Jelly Bean
- Cellular connectivity: LTE
- Other connectivity: 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi, NFC
- Display: Two 4.3-inch qHD (540×960) LCD
- Input: Touchscreen
- Memory: 1GB RAM
- Storage: 16GB onboard and microSD cards
- Rear-facing camera: 8MP with BSI sensor
- Front-facing camera: None
- Battery: 2,100mAh
It remains to be seen how the NEC Medias W will fare with consumers. It’s not the first handset to sport dual displays but none so far have been clear successes.
The NEC Medias W is expected in Japan in mid-April through NTT DoCoMo. Pricing was not announced and neither were any plans to offer it in other markets.
Read more: NTT DoCoMo