As expected, HTC today unveiled its latest flagship smartphone, billing it as “a bold step forward” rather than simply another specification bump. Along with it, HTC also introduced the latest version of HTC Sense. Called New Sense, it comes with a number of new features including HTC BlinkFeed which acts as a live homepage, HTC Zoe, a camera app, and HTC BoomSound for improved audio.
“People today immerse themselves in a constant stream of updates, news and information. Although smartphones are one of the main ways we stay in touch with the people and information we care about, conventional designs have failed to keep pace with how people are actually using them,” said Peter Chou, CEO of HTC Corporation. “A new, exciting approach to the smartphone is needed and with the new HTC One, we have re-imagined the mobile experience from the ground up to reflect this new reality.”
HTC BlinkFeed will provide live content on your homescreen. Along with some 1,400 partners who will provide content, it can also display information from your social networks.
Declaring the “era of the megapixel” over, HTC also unveiled its UltraPixel camera which gathers some 300 percent more light than a traditional one, promising “astounding low-light performance.” It also introduced HTC Zoe, a new camera app that can capture photos and a short 3 second video simultaneously. Much as the BlackBerry Z10 does, it also allows you to eliminate blinking eyes from your shots. Other features include enhanced 360′ panorama, time sequencing and object removal.
HTC BoomSound consists of dual front-facing stereo speakers with a dedicated amplifier, Beats Audio integration, and HTC Sense Voice which can boost call volume and quality in noisy environments.
Here is a closer look at the HTC’s One specifications:
- Processor: 1.7GHZ quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 600
- Operating system: Google Android with New Sense
- Cellular connectivity: LTE/HSPA/EDGE/GPRS
- Other connectivity: GPS/GLONASS, 802.11 a/ac/b/g/n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0, NFC
- Display: 4.7-inch Full HD (1920×1080 / 468 PPI)
- Memory: 2GB RAM
- Storage: 32GB / 64GB onboard
- Rear-facing camera: HTC UltraPixel with F2.0 aperture, 28mm lens and 1080p video capture
- Front-facing camera: 2.2MP with 1080p video capture
- Connectors: 3.5mm audio jack, micro-USB 2.0 port
- Battery: 2,300mAh
- Dimensions: 137.4 x 68.2 x 9.3 millimeters
- Weight: 143 grams
- Colours: Black or Silver
- Other: Dual BoomSound stereo speakers, dual microphones, “zero-gap aluminum unibody” construction
The HTC One will launch in 80 countries with 185 carriers. It will begin to ship in late March. In Canada, Bell, Rogers, TELUS and Virgin Mobile are all onboard. Pricing was not announced today. In the U.S., AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile will offer the HTC One.