With MWC 2013 kicking off tomorrow, Samsung took the opportunity to sneak in an announcement before all eyes shift to Barcelona, Spain. This one should not come as much of a surprise given the number of rumours that precede it. As expected, Samsung announced the Galaxy Note 8.0 tablet, billed as “a new era of intelligent Note technology set to re-ignite the mid-size tablet category that Samsung established in 2010.” It essentially builds on the very successful Galaxy Note II by offering a larger display and optional phone capabilities (in certain markets).
“Back in 2010 the launch of the first Samsung GALAXY Tab with 7 inch screen opened a new chapter in the mobile industry. Now almost three years later, Samsung continues to evolve the sector that meets the demands of modern life.” said JK Shin, President of the IT & Mobile Communications Division at Samsung Electronics.
“The GALAXY Note 8.0 breaths fresh life into the category as it delivers the perfect fusion of portability and everyday productivity – the result is a pioneering, pocket-sized solution that enhances and enriches our everyday lives, whether at work or play,” added Shin.
The specifications of the Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 are as follows:
- Processor: 1.6GHz quad-core Samsung Exynos 4
- Operating system: Google Android 4.1.2
- Cellular connectivity (Wi-Fi model): None
- Cellular connectivity (3G model): HSPA+
- Other connectivity: A-GPS/GLONASS (3G model), Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n (2.4 & 5 GHz), Bluetooth 4.0
- Display: 8-inch WXGA (1280×800 / 189 ppi) LCD
- Input: Capacitive touchscreen, S Pen Experience
- Memory: 2GB RAM
- Storage: 32GB or 64GB and microSD cards up to 64GB
- Rear-facing camera: 5MP
- Front-facing camera: 1.3MP
- Battery: 4,600mAh
- Dimensions / weight: 210.8 X 135.9 millimeters / 338 grams
- Colours: White
The Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 will be available from Q2 worldwide, including both Canada and the U.S. Pricing was not announced.
Read more: Samsung