Research In Motion today announced that its latest RIM BlackBerry PlayBook OS update is now available for download. Among the new features in version 2.1 are:
- Updated BlackBerry Bridge: View, respond and compose new SMS messages on BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet when connected to a BlackBerry smartphone over Bluetooth. Increased performance and speed of other BlackBerry Bridge functions.
- Email and PIM Enhancements: Pportrait support for email, calendar and contacts, giving you the option to use your tablet in either orientation to message.
- Improved Android Application Support: Includes Multi-Window Applications, Camera Support and In-App Payments.
- Updated Print to Go app and Canadian video store now preloaded into OS
- Improved folder and sync management including ability to individually sync email folders over ActiveSync
- Streamlined setup and software update experience
- Over-the-air (OTA) enrollment with BlackBerry Mobile Fusion
The update is currently available for the Wi-Fi versions of the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet. It will be available for the 4G LTE BlackBerry PlayBook “within the next month, upon carrier approval of software.”
Loof for a software update notification to come up on the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet status ribbon to trigger the update. You can also manually trigger a check for the software update by going to the settings menu under “Software Updates” and tapping “Check for Updates”.
Read more: Inside BlackBerry